This past weekend was busting at the seams with amazing and memorable moments. Three of my best friends from college came to San Francisco and we had a truly amazing weekend. There was dancing, running, watching the CrossFit Games, laughing and a whole lot of food. One of the major highlights?
Cafe Gratitude has been on my Must Try list for years but I almost never make it to the Mission so I’ve never had the pleasure before. And, WOW, what a pleasure! This is a famous San Francisco vegan landmark that supports local farmers, sustainable agriculture and environmental-friendly products. The quote at the top of the menu really says it all:
Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food – Hippocrates
The four of us girls have all vegan or vegetarian at various times over the years and were genuinely thrilled to try this place on for size. My boyfriend, however, was slightly less enthusiastic. He was a good sport about it though and I ordered him Indian once we got home. 🙂
We spent an insane amount of time looking over the menu and finally settled on just ordering half of it.
- I Am Enlivened: High protein algae shot
- I Am Luscious: Vegan milkshake w/ hazelnut milk, figs, dates, cacao & vanilla bean – UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE!!! This was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever had.
- I Am Courageous: Organic slow dripped coffee
- I Am Complete: Mediterranean plate featuring raw green falafel (not a huge hit), live crackers (yummy) and a seriously delicious almond hummus
- I Am Grounded: Roasted organic potatoes w/ spicy cashew nacho cheese – I’m not going to try to lie and say that we behaved like ladies, we didn’t, we practically licked the plate clean.
- I Am Transformed: Corn tacos w/ brown rice, black beans, salsa & cashew nacho cheese – This was my order and I ate it in under two minutes. And then promptly started on my neighbor’s food… 🙂
- I Am Warm-Hearted: Organic polenta w/ Puttanesca sauce, cashew ricotta & Brazil nut parmesan – Delicious & hearty, this would be a great dish for a chilly winter night
- I Am Elated: (Entirely raw) live spinach tortilla enchilada w/ sprouted seed filling & topped w/ spicy mole & cashew sour cream – This looked delish, but it never made it around to me
- I Am Grateful: This is a really great dish and consisted of brown rice & local community-grown veggies w/ an amazing tahini & garlic sauce
Immediately after trying the cashew nacho cheese in the I Am Grounded appetizer my friend Emi and I bounced out of our seats and ran to the front to buy the Cafe Gratitude cookbook. Be on the look out for some recipe adventures once I dig in!
Unfortunately there was a major downside to this lunch… Namely that I’m now addicted to a restaurant that is really, really far away from my apartment.
I also want to offer a quick congratulations to Crystal & Ashley for their amazing time at the SF Half Marathon!