Every year around this time I’m overcome with feelings of dread and anxiety. It’s just plain UNFAIR that during one of the busiest, most stressful times of the year our homes & offices are suddenly overrun with coughing, sneezing, and misery.
The weather shifts, we forget to eat balanced meals, we’re too busy to hit the gym, too much stress… And all of a sudden your lymph nodes are the size of golf balls and you’re guzzling DayQuil like it’s a Fountain of Youth elixir.
This year I’ve decided to proactively attack cold & flu season by boosting my immune system & focusing on my health for the next few months. My goal is not to be taken down by anything this year!
Here are a few of my tried & true tips for being a cold & flu-fighting ninja this year:
- Water, Water, Water – Dehydration not only makes you tired & listless, it also opens the door for viruses to set up camp. So be sure to keep a water bottle on your desk, bedside table, and/or at the gym so you’ll always be able to hydrate.
- Fruits & Veggies – Whether it’s in smoothies, fresh juices, or stirfries be sure to get your daily dose of vitamins and nutrients with in-season produce.
- Stay Active – Don’t think you have time to go to the gym? Find a way! Walk to pick up your groceries. Drop down for 5 minutes of yoga poses. Do a quick core routine before bed. Add some walking lunges as you wander around your home. Just do something! My favorite trick for staying active is planning healthy activities with friends rather than meeting for dinner or a drink – Go for a walk & catch up, hit a gym for a class, try a new activity like rock climbing or martial arts, go for a Sunday morning hike…
- Take A Moment – For me I know that stress plays a major role in breaking down my immune system. I get so turned around that I don’t know which way is up, my brain never turns off, and I forget to do normal things like sleep, eat, and breath. This year I will set aside 5-10 minutes every single day to RELAX. I will calm my spinning mind, I will breath deeply, I will think happy thoughts.
- SLEEP – The fastest way to a runny nose & sore throat is to skip your nightly zzz’s. Everyone needs a different amount of sleep but be sure you’re getting what you need to keep your body in top fighting shape.
- 7 Immune Boosters You’ve Probably Overlooked
- Eat This Fight The Flue
- 55 Gentle Ways To Take Care Of Yourself When You’re Busy Busy Busy
- Cold & Flu Spotlight
- How To Rebalance Your Stress Equation
What’s YOUR best cold & flu-fighting tip?