That’s an ominous title, no?
Today is all about reality checks and understanding what your goals should be if you want to feel your best.
Working out is great. I love it and can’t get enough. I’ll try anything and you’d do well not to stand between me and my endorphins. That being said… Your workout is just 20, 30, 60 minutes out of your day. If you want to feel – And look – Your best, you NEED to pay attention to the other 23 hours of the day.
“You can’t outtrain a bad diet” is one of my favorite sayings. What’s great about it is that it makes you think – Getting through that killer workout is great, but rewarding yourself with a pizza isn’t the best option.
How you fuel your body and how you spend your day are vital to reaching your goals. Eating a clean diet filled with whole foods and limited consumption of processed “food,” sugar, and preservatives is key.
What else is important? Read on for my top tips on staying healthy while you’re NOT in the gym!
Whether you’re running errands on foot, walking to and from your office, or going out for an evening stroll with your pup – Make sure you spend some time on your feet each and every day. You’ll be amazed how much this will help your fitness goals – It clears your head and sets a healthy tone for the day.
After getting my FitBit last year I realized just how much walking I’m getting in each day – Usually between 3 and 5 miles daily during the week and between 5-15 miles each day of the weekend.
Sitting down is causing a whole host of health problems for our generation that have never before existed. From sitting on the couch while watching TV to sitting at your desk all day to sitting in your car during your commute – Think about just how much time you’re spending in this position every day.
- Try biking or walking to work instead. Too far? Try taking public transportation and walking to/from the station. Spend the least amount of time possible in your car!
- Set reminders for yourself throughout the day to get up from your desk. Even better? Do some stretching or core awareness work throughout the day to loosen up your body.
- Bonus points if you can trade in your traditional desk for the standing variety. It can be a challenge to make the transition, but your body will thank you all day long!
- Try stretching, rolling, or doing core work while you’re watching TV home. If I have a movie on there’s also a yoga mat out. Or resistance bands. Or a foam roller…
- When your 2pm-3pm lull kicks in – Get outside!! Don’t reach for coffee. Don’t reach for sugar. Try getting in a walk or a workout around this time, or just go spend some time soaking up Vitamin D in a patch of sunshine. You’ll be amazed how much more clear-headed you are afterwards!
So tell me… What do YOU do when you’re not working out?