We chatted about Winter fitness two weeks again, specifically indoor workouts that you can tackle to stay in shape during this time of year if you’re not a fan of heading outside to deal with the elements.
But you know what?
Some people out there actually love Winter workouts!
I’ve been posting some outdoor time on Instagram this season and have gotten a few questions about how I stay motivated to get outside and how I stay warm. So here’s my cold weather running gear round-up!
Getting out the door is half the battle. Maybe even more than half. Simply put, if you’re dreading your run, you won’t enjoy it. And if you don’t enjoy your run, what’s the point of going?
- Get a running buddy, someone that’s sure to get you up & out the door. No friend who love to run as much as you? Join a running club or download an app with motivators to keep you going.
- Set a goal for yourself – A race or a new speed personal record – That will help keep you inspired.
- Make sure to include a proper stretching session both before an after your run, don’t risk injury by hitting the streets with cold muscles.
- Gloves – I’m partial to The North Face Etip Running Gloves. They’re lightweight and comfortable, and make those first moments out the door much easier
- Ear Warmers – Beanie hats are a great option, but I prefer the Lucy Activewear Run Head Warmer. It’s warm, flattering, and a bit more aerodynamic than a full-coverage hat.
- Running Tights – My choice of running tights is hugely important to me, I feel much faster, whether that’s mental or not, when I have the right pants on for my run. Two current favorites are CW-X Endurance Pro Tights, Teeki Deer Medicine Black Pants, and the always fabulous Nike Power Epic Running Tights.
- Vest – REI has some amazing vests, and I love their Brooks LSD Thermal Vest. It comes in some killer colors and is so lightweight that you barely notice it, which is a must for me.
What’s YOUR go-to cold weather running gear? Am I missing any essentials?