While it’s always fun to try a new workout regime or set a goal for yourself in the gym to get ready for a big trip – You may also want to get in some fitness while you’re traveling.
Not only do I enjoy working out, and the ensuing endorphin high, but my body also benefits greatly from regular workouts, which isn’t something I want to let go of while I’m on the road.
Below are a few tips for fun, social ways you can get in some sneaky, or not so sneaky, fitness when you’re on vacation.
- Explore on Foot – When you’re visiting a new city, try exploring on foot to view the city from a different angle. You’ll get to sightsee and stay active.
- Bands – I usually travel with a resistance band in my suitcase. It takes up no room and you can do a full range of workouts. Check out these band workouts from Tone It Up here.
- Bodyweight Workouts – When I’m out-of-town and don’t have access to a gym, I’ll try to start the day with a short bodyweight workout. Push-ups, squats, mountain climbers, planks etc. You can get a full body workout in just a few minutes.
- Start Peddling – Renting a bike is a great way to see a new city and cover some serious mileage over the course of a day. Don’t forget your helmet!
- Water Sports – If you’re vacationing near a lake, river, or the ocean, you should check out what water sports are available. From swimming to water skiing to SCUBA diving, there’s a fun way to stay active in the water.
- Running – My favorite way to explore a new city is going for a run. London, Paris, Rome – I’ve run through them all. Especially in the morning, it’s such a beautiful way to see a place wake up. I love it when I’m escaping the city as well – Trail runs and hikes are a great way to see the local landscape.
What’s YOUR favorite way to stay fit while you’re on vacation?
This the fifth post in the Virgin Sport #GoFitYourself series. If you’re in the Bay Area, you should check out the Virgin Sport Fitness Festival in San Francisco this October. Haven’t heard about it yet? Check out the first post here – Virgin Sport San Francisco.
If you want to join me to run the SF Bay Half Marathon on October 15th I’m excited to say that I have a discount for anyone who wants to join!
Use “LAVIE” and you’ll get $10 off the cost of registration for the SF Bay Half Marathon.