One of the best parts of Summer is being able to get outside for fun workouts. It’s always nice to mix things up and try new activities, and this is definitely the season for it!
Here are some of the outdoor activities that I look forward to each Summer and some of the workouts that I hope to try out this year:
- Hiking – I love escaping the city for a hike in the Presidio or even further away. But it’s also fun to do long “city hikes” along the water. Nothing beats a gorgeous view of the bride!
- Bike Riding – Don’t own a bike? No worries. Luckily there are bike share options like Ford GoBike
- Running – I tried to run on a treadmill while I was on vacation and I only lasted a few minutes. I just can’t stand it. Getting outside and hiking a trail or path or running along the Embarcadero is one of my all-time favorite activities.
- Bootcamps – Do some Googling or Yelping and you’ll find an afternoon or weekend bootcamp that’s held outside.
- Swimming – If you don’t have a pool nearby, you can swim in lakes, rivers, or the ocean. I loved my daily swims while I was recently on vacation and can’t wait to start spending weekends up at the lake. Swimming is a great workout and very low impact.
- Yoga – A yoga session on the beach or in a meadow or by a lake is a wonderful way to greet the day. If you can’t find a studio that offers outdoor classes, you can just bring you phone and a YouTube video to your favorite spot for a solo session.
- Watersports – Swimming is a great workout, but so is paddleboarding, kayaking, and canoeing. You can do all three on lakes, rivers, or at the ocean. Or even in a pool! They’re great for the core and toning your arms.
What’s YOUR favorite outdoor workout?