Welcome to my Project Comeback series! Today we’re taking about foods to avoid and foods to add to your daily life while you’re trying to achieve your healthy living goals. If you’ve missed out, you can check out these previous posts: Project Comeback | A Week of Workouts, Project Comeback | What I Eat in a Day, and Project Comeback | Activewear Loves.
Since I started my healthy living journey nearly a decade ago, I’ve tried many different ways of eating. I’ve succumbed to trends. I’ve tried new foods. I’ve cut out other foods. But most of all, I’ve tried to keep an open mind. What works for one person may not work for another, and what works for you one year, may not work for you the next. Now after that little introduction, I wanted to give you a quick and dirty break down of foods to add to your diet, and foods to AVOID.
Foods to GIVE UP:
- Fried foods – Fairly self-explanatory 🙂
- Heavily processed foods – Simply put… Does it come in a package? Try to cut it out. Long list of ingredients? Try to cut it out.
- Foods/food-like substances with no nutritional value – Packaged sauces, dressings, and condiments, pre-made meals, snack foods, fruit juices etc.
- High sugar foods – Cut out the candy, baked goods, and definitely cut out the sodas
- Refined carbs – Pasta, white bread, packaged pastry products… You know they’re terrible for you, time to ditch them
Foods to Add:
- Whole foods – ALL the fruits & veggies
- Whole grains – Don’t worry, you can still have pasta. Just swap your refined white flour pasta for quinoa, chickpea, brown rice, or lentil.
- Water – Start increasing your water intake each day
- Spices – Worried that you won’t enjoy your food once you give up sugary, high-fat dressings and sauces? Try adding fresh herbs and dried spices
- Healthy fats – Swap processed, pre-made foods that are high in saturated and trans fats, for healthy fats like avocado, eggs, nuts, seeds, and beans
- Green tea – High in antioxidants and great for weight loss, including green tea in your day is a win-win
I’ll be back for another installation of Project Comeback so stay tuned!